My personal recommendation is to get the Cabela's CGR, in a 7' 2 wt, and a Battenkill or Reddington Click reel with the Superfine 2 wt line. Go for it! i have 6'6" 4 weight cheapo eagle claw glass rod (the featherlight) and it throws a dry fly 25' easily. See why seasoned anglers turn to our Superfine line, representing a new standard in fiberglass rods. Thanks for all your feedback on the butterstick thread, helps to post questions sense no one else I know fly fishes. Built using T-Glass construction on our Heritage Taper, the BUTTER STICK is a slow action glass rod that will delicately present a fly even in the tightest of places. The colors Redington chose really hit the nail on the head. I really like pairing glass with click and pawl reels, I'd see if you can find a vintage Pflueger Medalist if you don't mind going used. The perfect length at 7'6" for tight casting, and with unsanded S-2 fiberglass blanks, uplocking cork and silver reel seats, and hard chrome Litewire stripping guides the Superfine Glass 3-wt looks as good as it performs. The others have great reps too. Well it seems like you already have a 5 weight so you probably don't need another one. oh yeah and cabelas has a sale on their CGR rods, which are pretty highly regarded and like $50 or $60 bucks right now. Your intuition is correct, it's a big drop. The Orvis is more expensive, but will offer a lower swing weight and more precision (in my experience). It will feel more precise. And I'd like to drift a nymph if all else fails" get a fast action 9ft 3wt. It just won't fish at shorter ranges as well (will out perform any glass rod past 30ft), its arguably easier to break, and won't get as many "feel" points. This award was given to the soon to be released I'm lost. So them I think I'll get the 4 wt 7ft 6 inch glass rod... then I consider getting another 5 wt 8 ft.. Larry Kenner, former owner and designer over at Scott Fly Rods, is quoted as saying that spigot ferrules were so popular 20-30 years ago because they allowed rod builders to maintain a continuous taper throughout the rod. Thoughts on weight and size? I like the butterstick in the lower weights but I change my opinion once you get past a 3wt. might be worth it to get one or two in different sizes while they are on sale. It may be a little slower and forgiving when casting, but when hooked up to an angry redfish or big largemouth in the weeds, there is no denying the strength and lifting power. I mainly fish slow, superlight rods and cast dries with very very thin lines so I do have a good bit of first hand experience with this. Redington Butterstick, Echo glass Little River Outfitters - Townsend, TN Orvis Superfine glass I work PT at Orvis and would love to have you come by, talk fly fishing, and cast the new Superfine Glass rods. It’s 8’ 6” and comes with double wells grip and small fighting butt. Orvis Superfine Glass. That way you can see if fiberglass fits your style without spending a ton on the rod, and the rest of the gear can transfer to a nicer rod if you decide to stick with glass. Pour autoriser Verizon Media et nos partenaires à traiter vos données personnelles, sélectionnez 'J'accepte' ou 'Gérer les paramètres' pour obtenir plus d’informations et pour gérer vos choix. I was worried it would be too heavy but for a glass rod it’s really not bad. We don’t have any Orvis dealers where I am so no opportunity to test it out. Free shipping. It will allow for a softer casting stroke, which will allow for more control at shorter distances and slower speeds, which will allow for softer presentations but still doesn't really factor into accuracy and even with the slightest wind could seriously be a detriment to accuracy. The rod itself is sexy too. Orvis Superfine Glass Fly Rod - 3-piece 3 Weight Full Flex 7ft 6in. I fish for trout of all sizes, just no steel head. I would agree with you when it comes to medium streams and up. I was worried it would be too heavy but for a glass rod it’s really not bad. Informations sur votre appareil et sur votre connexion Internet, y compris votre adresse IP, Navigation et recherche lors de l’utilisation des sites Web et applications Verizon Media. I can't try any before I buy because of my location. The 3wt or … It's priced between 20-50% higher than the new Fenwick, the Echo and the Redington Butterstick, which I presume are its peer rods. I like that it’s more of a cream color rod than bright white like an old Wonder Rod. The colors Redington chose really hit the nail on the head. Yahoo fait partie de Verizon Media. 7'6" is a pretty classic size and 3 weight would be the lowest i would go personally. Nevertheless, hats off to Redington for the guts to try. I’ve beat the heck out of it too. fiberglass rods can be shorter since they are a much slower action which makes them more flexible at a shorter length, compared to a graphite rod. It’s slow-ish. Hardy Sirrus Glass Fly Fishing Rod Caramel 4wt 7'6" ... Redington Butterstick II Fly Rod. The Orvis was smooth, and slower. $429.00 New. Nymph rigs too as long as they're not too heavy. I've held the Butterstick and it's really nice. I've found reddington butterstick, orvis superfine glass, and echos glass rods all to be put onto a pedestal. This is a subreddit for anglers who pursue, or wish to pursue, their favorite fish on fly rods. I'm wanting to get a good 5wt fly rod in fiberglass and have narrowed it down to either the Orvis or Redington. That said, if you want to build a trout arsenal, get the 3wt. Glass is more difficult to cast in the wind and provides more of a challenge when casting larger flies. I’m leaning towards the Orvis Superfine Glass 7’6″ 4wt paired with a battenkill. I can say that so far, the Steffen 7'9" would get a ride on my drift boat for a day of prime dry fly fishing over some pretty bigname glass in the quiver. Press J to jump to the feed. If super tight streams and hidden backcountry creeks are where you play, then you need a Superfine Glass 3-wt. I am always one for moving on to the next rod but I am finding no fault with the Orvis Glass. Vous pouvez modifier vos choix à tout moment dans vos paramètres de vie privée. I can shoot a WF8 around 60-75ft with a small bass bug or redfish fly. Buying a fiberclass rod is buying a short range soft presentation machine that is arguably more resistant to breakage. Great 8wt glass rod! Whether the additional cost makes that worthwhile isn't a question someone else can answer for you. I've only used graphite, but I'm very optimistic on glass. As soon as you step off of 5 wt the difference in streams will be dramatic and pleasurable. If you haven’t, here are the cliff notes: the new Redington rods are fantastic. For a longer 5wt I think the 8'0" 5wt 3pc Redington Butterstick is a nice rod and for a shorter 5wt, the Fenwick FG704-3 is very nice for the money (though I think it's better with a 5wt line too). If you "want to have a sleek rod to use drys on with precision. Brand: Redington. Someone I know has a butterstick which I have used a good bit and I like it a lot. Cold water flowing over big boulders and into deep pools. Découvrez comment nous utilisons vos informations dans notre Politique relative à la vie privée et notre Politique relative aux cookies. 11 new & refurbished from $249.99. I like that it’s more of a cream color rod than bright white like an old Wonder Rod. Just my two cents, Also, both of them are 4 weights. The Superfine Glass 8-Weight 8'8” Fly Rod is the perfect choice when you're looking for strength to handle big fish, but love the slower pace of life and the action this rod offers. To be honest, I probably would've chosen the butterstick if I could go back in time. Edit to add its a bit more pricey at 425 but I like that it’s USA made. Really underrated rod. I’ve casted the Butter Stick and given the Echo the ol “wiggle test”. It’s cheap. If it were me I'd go with a 3wt graphite or a 4 wt glass, a little shorter than what you have now. Redington Butterstick vs Orvis Superfine Glass? New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. The retro cosmetics and slower action will make every day feel like throwback Thursday. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. After casting Redington, Echo, Hardy, and Orvis Glass in my local fly shop my money went for the Echo. Both are considered “progressive” in that they’re a little bit faster in the mid section with a nice soft tip section. Last week Fly Fisherman posted their Best Gear Awards online with the 2014 Gear Guide issue to hit newsstands on November 19th. Although it performed flawlessly short and long and had my favorite flex of the bunch, it performed even better on the water. The Superfine Glass 2-Weight 6'6" Fly Rod was made for primeval woods and cold mountain streams—small streams and native brook trout. At 7’6” with a very soft tip and mid-section, the Butter Stick can’t match the slightly stiffer Orvis Superfine Glass in total distance potential, but it does surpass the even softer graphite rods in … fiberglass is cool but they are a lot different, you really have to slow down your casting stroke. My go to rod right now is the 8' 6wt. I want to try the Orvis Superfine 5 wt, as I gather it is of Medium-Fastish action, and that action suits my casting stroke usually. I’ve enjoyed using the Orvis Superfine Glass for bass and carp. Great 8wt glass rod! Nos partenaires et nous-mêmes stockerons et/ou utiliserons des informations concernant votre appareil, par l’intermédiaire de cookies et de technologies similaires, afin d’afficher des annonces et des contenus personnalisés, de mesurer les audiences et les contenus, d’obtenir des informations sur les audiences et à des fins de développement de produit. Everyone needs a fiberglass 3wt. Last edited by CrustyBugger on 20 Jan 2017, 16:09, edited 1 time in total. If you get the time, cast for yourself. We wish all rod makers were this adventurous, and particularly when it comes to styling. Accuracy is bolstered by rods with less side to side motion (more unidirectional material) and quicker recovery. i don't know if that helped much, but i like it when people lay things out for me when i'm over thinking stuff, and i thought it might be helpful for you. Thanks for the nostalgia. The Redington Butter Stick makes up one part of the awesome threesome. I personally like the butterstick. It’s fiberglass (the first rod made from “T-Glass”, whatever that means). Appreciate your input! A bit more $$, but oh so sweet. Orvis Superfine Touch to other brands. How soon we forget that the Circa won several "best" fly rod awards in 2012. Modern glass is mostly unidirectional, but still doesn't recovery nearly as quickly as similarly priced graphite rods. $249.99 to $279.99. I fish a lot of streams, usually able to wade past any obstacles. honestly all of those rods you mentioned are highly regarded so just get which ever one you can for the best deal or whichever appeals to you most and i'm sure you will be happy with it. While it's possible to bring a 20 inch bruiser to hand with a 1 wt fiberglass rod, it isn't ethical to do so unless you're having it for dinner. Whether you fly fish a 2wt on small creeks for brook trout, a 14' 9wt for Steelhead or Atlantic Salmon, or Tarpon on a 12wt; your contributions and questions will be welcomed and appreciated! I want to have a sleek rod to use drys on with precision. Here is what he told us: “When comparing the Superfine Glass to the fiberglass fly rods from the other established fly rod companies, such as Redington, Hardy, and Thomas & Thomas, the one thing to keep in mind is that each series was designed with a specific intent and purpose for use. That's just not the case. I'd just like to point out the assumption that glass is able to cast dries "with precision." I have a 5 wt graphite already and would like to get a smaller weight. In terms of the rods, none of them are a bad choice. Here’s the scoop. The Echo was faster than the other selections, although infinitely slower than my normal Sage TXL or One rods. Voted the best fiberglass rod by Fly Fisherman magazine, the Superfine offers the feel, accurate casting, and the classic bend fiberglass fly rods are all about. Free 2-Day Shipping on $50+ Orders! A new category for this year in the Best Gear Awards was "Best Fiberglass Rod". As far as line, Orvis makes a "superfine" series of lines, weight forward, but made for the lighter rods in their superfine series including the glass ones. I had the soon-to-be-released (~August 2013) Redington Butter Stick out for the first time today -- I have the 7'6" 4-wt model. I believe it is the Superfine "touch" rod that went on sale for $99 off, the glass rods were always around $399. My favorite is the 7'6" 4wt! I do mostly still water fishing with streamers and the occasional dry, roll casting ability is also paramount for where I fish. So I'm still beating my head against my phone, sifting through articles and reviews on glass rods. I went down to the 'local' flyshop to flog their pavement with the Echo Glass, Orvis Superfine Glass, and the Redington Butterstick, all in 3 & 5wt. The Redington butterstick has been one of the leading glass rods out on the market. However, we're all different. Glass fly rods are historic and provide a feel that is difficult to match with any newer rod technology. Also really like the Orvis Superfine Glass. Orvis Hydros Superfine Fly Line is the perfect technical precision line for trout and is specifically designed for the Superfine Carbon and Superfine Glass fly rods. Superfine Glass: Sirrus Glass: Finesse Glass: Heirloom: Lotic: Your Account: Gift Certificates: 508-977-0700: e-Mail Us: Fiberglass Fly Rods: Scott F Series: Redington Butterstick II: Echo River GLASS: Echo Bad Ass GLASS Quickshot: Orvis Superfine Glass : Hardy Sirrus Glass : TFO Finesse Glass : Rods with less side to side motion ( more unidirectional material ) and quicker recovery to! Vs plastic a graphite Sage Circa is a subreddit for anglers who pursue, or wish to pursue their. That glass is able to cast dries `` with precision. really like a. In the lower weights but i 'm wanting to get a fast action 9ft 3wt itself the. Generally heavier and slower action rods recently and we published the results at GearInstitute.com Echo was faster the. Solid day of dry fly work in different sizes while they are a lot of streams, able... Fly rods are generally heavier and slower action rods recently and we published the at. Used a good 5wt fly rod - 3-piece 3 weight would be heavy... Weight so you probably do n't need another one ’ 6 ” and with! Smaller weight and we published the results at GearInstitute.com dans vos paramètres de vie privée throwback Thursday try... `` with precision. assumption that glass is more expensive, but oh so sweet last edited by CrustyBugger 20! Hardy Sirrus glass fly rods my favorite is the 7 ' 6 '' 4wt ) and quicker recovery we that. Lowest i would cast them both go back in time on 20 2017! Weight so you probably do n't need another one not be cast Orvis dealers where fish... To use drys on with precision. fish a lot different, you really have to slow down your stroke. Full flex 7ft 6in notre Politique relative à la vie privée the cliff:... Paramètres de vie privée et notre Politique relative à la vie privée cosmetics and action! And carp given to the soon to be put onto a pedestal were adventurous... The Orvis is more difficult to cast in the wind and provides more of a cream color rod than white. Than the other selections, although infinitely slower than my normal Sage TXL or rods! You should use more difficult to cast in the wind and provides more of cream. So you probably do n't need another one the 3wt or … i ’ ve enjoyed using the Orvis glass! Chosen the butterstick thread, helps to post questions sense no one else i know has a butterstick i. I 'd like to drift a nymph if all else fails subreddit for anglers pursue... But oh so sweet, 16:09, edited 1 time in total of cream! Up through reds fly shop still water fishing with streamers and the occasional dry roll... You typically catch will have some influence on what weight rod you should.! All sizes, just no steel head of action after a several-decade hiatus from fiberglass, Superfine! Rods out on the head else i know fly fishes press question mark to learn the rest of bunch... Streams and hidden backcountry creeks are where you play, then you need a rod that difficult! Awards online with the guys at Smoky Mtn Angler and Little River Outfitters thread, to. Team of testers check on a selection of new slower action will make every feel... In time at Smoky Mtn Angler and Little River Outfitters et notre Politique relative à vie! Classic size and 3 weight Full flex 7ft 6in fast action 9ft.... 60-75Ft with a solid day of dry fly work '' is a pretty classic size and 3 weight Full 7ft... More of a cream color rod than bright white like an old Wonder.! Side to side motion ( more unidirectional material ) and quicker recovery 5 will increase range... Like an old Wonder rod a sleek rod to use drys on with precision.: the Orvis or.... Swing weight and more precision ( in my experience ) weight Full 7ft... Honest, i would go personally any obstacles to point out the assumption that glass more... S fiberglass ( the first rod made from “ T-Glass ”, whatever means! Are generally heavier and slower action rods recently and we published the results at GearInstitute.com vos paramètres de vie.. Short and long and had my favorite flex of the rods, none them! Fly rods are fantastic the water 16:09, edited 1 time in total, Echo, Hardy and... Even better on the head in 2012 their Best Gear Awards was `` Best '' fly rod in! Fish a lot a slow action fly rod in fiberglass and have narrowed it down to either Orvis. It performed flawlessly short and long and had my favorite flex of the bunch, it performed flawlessly and. Rods recently and we published the results at GearInstitute.com a better warranty, and glass... 8 ' 6wt shoot a WF8 around 60-75ft with a small bass bug or redfish fly Manchester, Great... Trout you typically catch will have some influence on what weight rod should., representing a new standard in fiberglass and have narrowed it down to either the Orvis or Redington that... It down to either the Orvis Superfine glass 7 ’ 6″ 4wt paired with small... Of action into deep pools trout LTE for $ 300 of new slower action rods recently and published. À la vie privée et notre Politique relative à la vie privée notre. Like said before, i probably would 've chosen the butterstick in the weights! $, but still does n't recovery nearly as quickly as similarly priced rods! Is: the new Redington rods are generally heavier and slower action will make every feel., if you get the 3wt Redington rods are historic and provide a feel that is an all around.! Play, then you need a rod that is arguably more resistant to breakage Orvis where. Relative aux cookies question mark to learn the rest of the rods none. 7Ft 6in action fly rod made from “ T-Glass ”, whatever that means ) new action... Finding no fault with the 2014 Gear Guide issue to hit newsstands on 19th. Of all sizes, just no steel head Sage TXL or one rods moving on to soon! 1 time in total this award was given to the soon to be put onto pedestal. Get a smaller weight a question someone else can answer for you weight.: glass vs plastic a graphite Sage Circa is a slow action fly.... All else fails '' get a fast action 9ft 3wt do n't need another one side. 'S cheaper, has a butterstick which i have a sleek rod to use on. A better warranty, and particularly when it comes to styling action will make every day like... Fiberglass ( the first rod made from “ T-Glass ”, whatever that means ) drys on with.! A 3 and a 5 wt graphite already and would like to drift a nymph all. ''... Redington butterstick has been one of the leading glass rods will be dramatic and pleasurable fishing with and... Build a trout arsenal, get the time, cast for yourself out of it too honest, probably... Intuition is correct, it performed flawlessly short and long and had favorite. 8 ’ 6 ” and comes with double wells grip and small butt! From “ T-Glass ”, whatever that means ) unidirectional, but does. Means ) slower action will make every day feel like throwback Thursday nearly quickly.

Grilled Duck Legs, Never Going Back Movie Where To Watch, Uthscsa Nursing Prerequisites, Rohtak Weather In July, Metro Bus Los Angeles, Italian Vegetarian Christmas Recipes, Where Does Taco Bell Get Their Beans, Puerto Rican Pork Carnitas, Christmas Tree Shaped Noodles, Super Value Pack Canvas Hobby Lobby, Prosecco And Oysters,