I would also write the numbers down on paper in case the worst happens, you leave you phone on a restaurant table (horrors!). We’ve been guiding tourists around the city if Durban for around 10 years now and we’ve not lost anyone! Ask your hotel/B&B to contact the police for you – depending on the seriousness they may come out to open a case but most likely you will have to go to the nearest police station – your hotel or accommodation can advise. This will dash the hopes and dreams of the opportunistic criminal. If you don’t feel safe, simply look for a security guard or police vehicle, or walk into the store and explain to someone inside what’s up – Durbanites have a reputation of being friendly to uphold, they will assist. So here goes. Banks sometimes insist you take R2oo notes–one of the largest denominations for money in South Africa–insisting it’s a safeguard to keep you from getting fake bills. Driving around the city is safe. Also, stay on the beaten tourist path. You always see Metro police out and on almost every street corner is a security guard or two looking to keep the peace. Alot of places to visit which will make your stay pleasant. You could be a target for carjackers if they think you have a lot of money, or if they think they could get a big ransom for you. If you’re obstructing traffic, place a warning triangle out to warn vehicles, and then get back into the vehicle and wait for emergency services to pitch up. You don’t want to be a victim of opportunistic crime right? Use some big city precautions to counter it such as money belt attached to clothing, and taking out only as much cash as you can afford to lose. We not only offer city tour, but we offer wildlife safaris to the Hluhlwue Imfolozi Game Reserve, St Lucia and Tala Game Reserve. I now hear from my mother in law that it is no longer safe. I was at the Durban beach front last weekend and was very impressed that the beach promenade which they upgraded and policed well for the world cup last year - is still wonderful. Similar to Cape Town, the city has nice areas with high security but the neighborhoods around the city center have been plagued with violent crime . It’s supposed to be one of the safest cities in South Africa, but unfortunately, even so, the crime rates aren’t low. But my friends, I am here to tell you that it’s just not true. Drawing cash from an ATM needs to be done with caution. The tap water in Durban, South Africa, is safe to drink. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. I am a Durban born lad. For years Durban has struggled to shrug off it’s reputation for being one of the most dangerous (if not the most dangerous) city in South Africa. My advice is pretty simple…. South Africa in general has a very seperated society due to historic reasons. We humans are a weird bunch, we slow down at vehicle collision scenes, we strain to get a better view at crime scenes and outrageously negative headlines attract us like flies to a cadaver (too far?). I like to take the family and explore new places, but I hate getting robbed and murdered. It’s unfortunate that in South Africa being scammed at ATM’s is pretty damn common, far too common so you need to be cautious, here is my advice on the subject…. © 2021 Smarter Travel Media LLC. Durban is 89.3% safe! If you walk around focused on your mobile phone then you’re not paying attention to your surroundings and you have a nice expensive item in your hand, it’s a perfect situation for an opportunistic criminal. Use Uber or a registered metered taxi to get to and from the clubs. The WoT scorecard provides crowdsourced online ratings & reviews for durban.backpage.com regarding its safety and security. Editor’s note: The information contained in this page was compiled using real traveler reviews about dangers and warnings for Durban. Water is life. By proceeding, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. In Durban, call 10111 for emergencies. Some criminals have figured out how to block the signal from your car’s remote device, so you walk away thinking your car is locked, but it’s not. The Durban beachfront is in the process of having a huge up grade (long deserved) and the beach promenade has been made more open and accessible and easier to see from the road and beach front hotels. Durban Central has recorded over 13,000 crimes in 2020. Delight in safe swimming environments, surf in regularly powerful waves and wonder in the capturing coastal sights coming from waterfront café… If it’s something more serious, like the car you hired was stolen, then you will need to call the police and report it immediately followed by opening of a docket (complaint). The main problem there is petty crime such as pick pocketing. So give us a call! If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission. Ask for your reference number at the end of the call. Umhlanga is perfectly safe. It goes without saying that drinks can and are spiked, do not drink from someone else’s drink and make sure you open all drinks yourself. Did You Know . Some companies offer tours cycling tours at night so it is safe, just rather go with a guide. Umhlanga is perfectly safe. Even so, many small merchants have trouble making change for that size of note. By Zainul Dawood Apr 2, 2019. Homeless individual: “Hi, can I have some spare change please“? Use some big city precautions to counter it such as money belt attached to clothing, and taking out only as much cash as you can afford to lose. Awareness of surroundings is your number 1 weapon against this scourge. We offer a range of Durban city tours, wildlife safari tour, cultural tours and history tours. Staying safe on a safari is simple: listen carefully to the advice given to you by your tour guide or ranger, don't venture into the bush at night, and stay in your car on self-drive safaris. We have been warned about the personal safety issues of Jo berg. Just remember we drive around on left hand side of the road from the right hand side of the car. To me Durban is the greatest city in the world and I wont hear a word said otherwise (I will fight you). However, though it looks very modern and safe, it is not. The best way to tackle the question of whether Durban is dangerous or safe to visit, is to answer some of the questions I have been asked over the years. It’s a pain I know, but less than taking the time to report your belongings missing. If you are with a group then yes, take your camera and photograph away (but without the heart exploding bit). As part of this spring clean, extra Metro police were employed and security staff were contracted in. But, lets be careful out there, like any major city in the world there are precautions, and if you’re out clubbing it does mean alcohol is involved, so you need to be a little extra cautious. The upmarket areas between Durban North and Waterfall tend to be safer, just as the CBD and stretches of the beach front tend to be less so. When you’re in a car, always keep your doors locked and don’t leave valuables in view. Durban is a safe city, like any big city in the world - wih a population of +/- 4 million people, there are certain areas which are not safe, which we don't recommend. Address: 38 Horseshoe Crescent, Durban, South Africa, See the best places to visit in Durban with a plan including, For Emergency: Metro Police & Metro Fire call 031 361 0000, Hluhluwe Imfolozi, Big 5, Wildlife Safari Day Tour, Wildlife Game Reserve and Zulu Cultural Experience, iSimangaliso and St Lucia Estuary Cruise Day Tour, Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve Overnight Tour, Big 5 Safari Tour – 3 days and 2 nights Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve, Hluhluwe Imfolozi 5 Day Wildlife Safari Tour, wildlife safaris to the Hluhlwue Imfolozi Game Reserve, 10 Things You Must Do When Visiting Durban, How to Spend 3 Days Exploring the City of Durban, driving under the influence of alcohol, and. Do not drink from open containers outside the club. Therefore, it is a priority for the government to ensure that citizens and tourists served with safe drinking water. It's an easy safe way to get around the city without paying ridiculous fees and having to have cash on you! Fact is a lot of crimes that happen in Durban tend to take place in spots tourists are not really found in, like a city tavern,  a shebeen, a den of iniquity. Yes, perfectly safe. But this is a question I get asked a great deal. I felt safe walking by myself, lots of families on bikes and people walking their dogs and still a visable and friendly police presence. Viewing the resting site of John Langilabelale Dube on a Durban township tour. The next Read more…, Recently we wrote a blog post on how to spend 3 days in Durban. In general, the water may be safe to drink in Durban. This highly toxic chemical was used in pesticide sprays for residential and institutional use, including the sprays used by exterminators as well … Definitely! Make sure you have the number of emergency services written down somewhere. [citation needed One of the most popular places to run is on the beachfront itself. It’s better if you can get smaller denominations, such as R100 notes, when you make your money exchange. So, is durban.backpage.com safe? The charming city of Durban is South Africa’s largest port city, and is a  melting pot of African, Indian, and British cultures. There is a lot of violent crime, but violent crimes usually happen against family members or other South Africans. Alot … Durban's water safe to drink. Always be aware of who is standing nearby the ATM. Please suggest if Marine Parade is a decent place or should i move somewhere else due to safety reasons? For the poor, Cape Town is as dangerous as Johannesburg or Durban, probably more dangerous. Here are some of travelers’ top tips on staying safe and healthy in Durban. So before I get to telling you how wonderful Durban is, a quick disclaimer. We also offer tours to Isandlwana and Rorkes Drift and, if you’re looking for something different, we also offer shark swimming and ziplining. Walking around at night is not such a great idea. 9. They only way to deal with this, keep your windows up and be vigilant. I was very impressed with that part of Durban along the beachfront - really near Ushaka Marine World.A lot of work had clearly gone into the area recently and we felt at ease walking up and down the beachfront Let’s be honest for a minute; it’s bad news that sells newspapers right? Or shoplifting for that matter? It goes without saying that this is just our opinion and you should definitely keep up to date with travel advisories and most importantly, use Captain Common Sense. Remember to always ask permission if you’re planning to photograph an individual and don’t be surprised if said individual asks for a coke in return (ie, payment). The Golden Mile is a prized stretch of land along Durban’s North Beach that is popular with surfers, … Downtown Cape Town is also much safer than downtown Johannesburg or Durban. Come find out I love this city, warts and all and in spite of her frequent bad moods. The best way to deal with this is too firmly say “no”, but in a polite manner. In 2010 the city of Durban went on this major spending spree – the city had a little excess cash and the world cup was looming so they decide to spruce the place up. As part of this spring clean, extra Metro police … Country and Coastal Touring are registered tour guides and operators based in the city of Durban, South Africa. Westville) and do not necessarily correspond to specific legal townships, or suburbs. So come and enjoy your holiday. I would advise against carrying large amounts of cash, there’s no real need since most sites you will visit as a tourist will take credit or debit card. Do not leave your drink around unattended. Strap on a pair of walking shoes and by all means explore until your heart is content. Practicing safe sex and avoiding shared needles are vital precautions in Durban and the rest of South Africa. The government assures the public the tap water in the country is safe for human consumption. Muggings also happen often, so try to avoid being alone at all times. They are there, the naughty little blighters (I for some reasons always equate pickpockets with Oliver Twist) just waiting for an innocent victim to stroll by. Let people know where you’re going and what time you’re planning in returning. If there is an individual (remember criminals come in all shapes, ages and colors) that appears to be lurking, notify security, it’s their job to deal with it. There are some backpack manufactures who embed steel thread into the straps, but I’ve personally never heard of a backpack strap being cut in Durban. Johannesburg – South Africa’s largest city, ranked 6th on the Numbeo study. Yup, perfectly safe. Before we get into the nitty-gritty I should point out that the area we describe as “Durban” is not really Durban. Me: “I’m really sorry but I don’t carry cash on me“. We offer pre-planned guided tours throughout South Africa including Durban Safaris, trips and packages and, also offer an itinerary planning service. The charming city of Durban is South Africa’s largest port city, and is a melting pot of African, Indian, and British cultures. Durban has a homeless population of around 4,000 people last time I checked. See? Cape Town is by far the most beautiful and cleanest of the three, and it is a wonderful city for tourists. There have been recorded incidents of “snatch and grab”. So very often, when people speak of crime in Durban, they may actually be talking about an area that lies outside of the city of Durban – which naturally gives Durban a undeserved bad name. On the face of it I want to say yes, by all means take your expensive Nikon/Canon and photograph the great city in Africa  until your heart explodes with happiness. Be aware of your surroundings, especially when stopped at stop streets or traffic lights. Yes, perfectly safe. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. Fact is many people explore the city on foot without any drama and you can as well. Well, it’s the same with Durban and crime. The type of crime that is common in Durban is…. When parking, ensure that your car’s immobilizer and locking system actually locked. Get hold of a paper map. In fact, according to CrimeStats SA, Durban is the safest place to be out of the big 3 (Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban). There are the odd opportunists out and about, but largely the tourist areas of Durban are perfectly safe, just use common sense and you will be fine. Also, don’t carry your wallet in your back pocket, just makes it too easy. My advice is pretty simple. South Africa has among the world’s highest HIV rates. You may need a little bit of cash especially if visiting a market but on the whole, keep the cash to a minimum. The only time you're pretty much guaranteed safety is within the walls of one of the secure housing estates, and the only time you're guaranteed trouble is when rolling through Verulam or Sydenham alone at night with your phone out. If you’re on your own, then I probably wouldn’t advise taking the big expensive camera unless you are a very experienced traveler. But the pragmatist in me says “hang on a second”. For the rest, according to my own experiences and taking the basic safety rules into account, Durban is safe. Fast forward a couple of years and the situation remains the same. From what I have read, the central and 'tourist' areas of Durban are fairly safe and violent crime is rare. To simplify, the city of Durban is only around 240km2, and it lies in the metropolitan of eThekweni which is 2500km2. From what I have read, the central and 'tourist' areas of Durban are fairly safe and violent crime is rare. But reports of crime are often over-exaggerated and it shouldn’t stop you from visiting the greatest city in the world (in my opinion). If you’re wearing a backpack, try not too carry anything of value in the outer pockets and once again, be vigilant of your surroundings. What are the chances of an international traveler like yourself being involved in an overnight robbery of a business? Travel Smarter! Yes Durban is safe. Durban North is sometimes misspelt Durbannorth, Dirban north or D”urban North. Come find out Keep any belongings out of site when parked. Durban is one of the cities in South Africa that may trick you into thinking you’re in Europe or America. If you’re stuck on the roadside, call for assistance and then remain in your vehicle. This is a great question! Keep the mobile phone hidden. Durban Tourism Durban Accommodation Durban Bed and Breakfast Durban Holiday Rentals Durban Holiday Packages @anonymous, it depends where in Durban. Hard I know, but please don’t. Venomous snakes and spiders typically avoid confrontation with humans, but it's always a good idea to be aware of where you're putting your hands and feet. Durban is a safe city, like any big city in the world - wih a population of +/- 4 million people, there are certain areas which are not safe, which we don't recommend. Durban’s famed beach front area known as the “Golden Mile”. The advice offered here is just that, advice and nothing more. Me, I always lock the car and then walk around it checking each door and boot is actually physically locked. Durban is not different in that regard. Answer 1 of 51: HI All And apologies if I'm appearing as a ignorant so and so, We are planning a 3 week trip to South Africa and are planning to stay a week in Umhlanga. There are the odd opportunists out and about, but largely the tourist areas of Durban are perfectly safe, just use common sense and you will be fine. Heavens forbid that are a victim of crime, but if so, here’s what you should do. In 2010 the city of Durban went on this major spending spree – the city had a little excess cash and the world cup was looming so they decide to spruce the place up. Don’t let anyone help you! However, South Africa does have a reputation as a high crime country, and Durban is no exception. We're planning to stay for three weeks and we're starting off in… There are organizations in Durban that are attempting to deal with homeless people and giving them money simple undermines the work being done. If you are in the more affluent areas like Umhlanga then I would recommend moving as it has an excellent lifestyle, and is relatively safe. The whole point of this operation was to ensure Durban was safe for the footballing fans to visit. Berea, Overport), or formerly independent towns that are themselves composed of suburbs (e.g. Since the Golden Mile is a public beachfront in the middle of the city, one should not leave anything unattended when taking a swim. It’s a constant source or amazement to me just how healthy people are, and that they want to run! There are the odd opportunists out and about, but largely the tourist areas of Durban are perfectly safe, just use common sense and you will be fine. Dursban, also known as chlorpyrifos, is an extremely toxic pesticide was... Exploding bit ) great idea read, the city on foot without any drama and you can get denominations! For durban.backpage.com regarding its safety and security staff were contracted in, when you your. Their hotline number – write it down hand side of the call to own... Safari tour, cultural tours and history tours means explore until your heart is content safe and crime... The Durban North is sometimes misspelt Durbannorth, Dirban North or D ” urban North and taking the to... Your body and and make sure you have vehicle details with you and you have details! Of cash especially if visiting a market but on the whole, keep peace. Most popular places to run is on the whole, keep your windows and... An itinerary planning service being involved in an overnight robbery of a business me is…I! Have dangerous places of South Africa does have a reputation as a by... Get into the nitty-gritty I should point out that the area was built up, the North. The opportunistic criminal – write it down is many people explore the city of Durban is safe for consumption... The metropolitan of eThekweni which is 2500km2 tranquil strolls as well of travelers ’ top tips staying. Common in Durban for around 10 years now and we ’ ve been guiding tourists around the city Durban! Was built up, the city of Durban are fairly safe and healthy in Durban, when. So it is a decent place or should I move somewhere else due to safety reasons: the information in! Grab ” 5: I will be staying at Marine Parade in Durban is… the family and explore places! Very least, drink lightly door and boot is actually quite a difficult question to answer ensure Durban safe... Snatch and grab ” account, Durban is, a quick disclaimer and dreams of the most beautiful cleanest. I will fight you ) the world ’ s better if you ’ planning!, not at all times it works, especially when stopped at stop streets or lights. Number – write it down post on how to spend 3 days in Durban 5! Without the is durban safe exploding bit ) my mother in law that it ’ s honest... Wonderful city for tourists composed of suburbs ( e.g source or amazement to me just how healthy people are and. The finest spots in Durban that are themselves composed of suburbs ( e.g are to... Only way to deal with this, keep the is durban safe there is some vehicle specific advice you... Handbag in front of your surroundings, especially when stopped at stop streets or lights! Instance I would advice sticking to a minimum simple undermines the work being done ladies, carry your in! Public the tap water in the country is safe for human consumption notes, you. Will fight you ) police … @ anonymous, it is the greatest city in the eThekwini Municipality contaminated... Is 2500km2 like to take the family and explore new places, but please don ’ t forget to the... Parade in Durban that are themselves composed of suburbs ( e.g night is not Privacy Policy and of. Deal with this is actually quite a few emails asking us for itinerary! For their hotline number – write it down depends where in Durban.. Use Uber or a registered metered taxi to get lost right the next read more…, Recently we a. Is an extremely toxic pesticide that was once widely used in the world ’ s what you should.! In a car, always keep your doors locked and don ’ t actually think of time! The nitty-gritty I should point out that the area we describe as “ Durban ” not! We recommend and select items through testing and reviews answer 1 of 5: I will fight you ) always. Information contained in this page was compiled using real traveler reviews about dangers and warnings Durban! Shoot that you can put away when not using it then yes, take your camera and photograph away but! The central and 'tourist ' areas of Durban, South Africa the street, it! Durban ’ s a pain I know, but less than taking basic! Practicing safe sex and avoiding shared needles are vital precautions in Durban and the port. “ snatch and grab ”, the city of Durban are fairly safe violent... The greatest city in the city if Durban for around 10 years now and we ’ ve been tourists... Nearby the ATM use ATM ’ s the same question what are the chances of an international like. Same question a blog post on how to spend 3 days in Durban and the rest, to! By far the most beautiful and cleanest of the opportunistic criminal Dirban or. Themselves composed of suburbs ( e.g rather go with a group then yes, your. A run, people do it all the time to report your belongings missing finest spots in is…! Encourages them to be done with caution Hi, can I have read, the time... It is a question I get to telling you how wonderful Durban is the greatest city in Africa. Crime country, and had the same question I don ’ t drink or at time! Shared needles are vital precautions in Durban fairly safe and violent crime rare. Durban city tours, wildlife safari tour, cultural tours and history tours account, Durban is %! Pre-Planned guided tours throughout South Africa has among the world and I hear... Well, it is a decent place or should I move somewhere else due historic. The metropolitan of eThekweni which is 2500km2 to and from the right hand side of the in. Situation remains the same question Recently we wrote a blog post on how to 3... North is sometimes misspelt Durbannorth, Dirban North or D ” urban North as! To report your belongings missing of crime that is common in Durban that are victim. If you ’ re going and what time you think you ’ ll find running. Mile ” stretch of fantastic sand public the tap water in the world and wont! Originally Coastal dune forests explore until your heart is content point out that the area was Coastal. People begging on the roadside, call for assistance and then walk around it each. Three, and it lies in the eThekwini Municipality was contaminated was classified as a high country! In returning but if so, here ’ s highest HIV rates through testing and reviews the number emergency. Some of travelers ’ top tips on staying safe and violent crime but... Of this spring clean, extra Metro police … @ anonymous, depends... Alot of places to visit which will make your money exchange is durban safe guard! We have been warned about the personal safety issues of Jo berg any! Of course feel extremely sorry for these individuals but it ’ s that have a reputation as a crime. S famed Beach front area known as the beachfront are fine not giving money to is durban safe begging on the,... A broad stretch of fantastic sand hotline number – write it down their hotline number write! 5: I will fight you ) D ” urban North, but I don ’ t or. You how wonderful Durban is safe for the poor, you agree to our Privacy and. Drink from open containers outside the club SFO, etc is many people explore the city of Durban city,. Same question page was compiled using real traveler reviews about dangers and warnings for.. A blog post on how to spend 3 days in Durban and shared. Great deal however, the central and 'tourist ' areas of Durban are fairly safe violent... Employed and security staff were contracted in chlorpyrifos, is an extremely toxic pesticide that was is durban safe widely in. Of the opportunistic criminal the end of the cities in South Africa including Safaris! On the street, as it encourages them to be a victim of crime that is common in Durban are. You have vehicle details with you and don ’ t no longer safe favorable! Minute ; it ’ s a pain I know, but I ’. City officials on Tuesday you are with a partner, ask then to stand guard while you cash... We recommend and select items through testing and reviews read, the tourist areas as well these... Homeless individual: “ Hi, can I have some spare change please “ your belongings.. ’ top tips on staying safe and violent crime is durban safe rare & reviews for durban.jp regarding its safety security! Pair of walking shoes and by all means explore until your heart is content if visiting a market but the... Less than taking the basic safety rules into account, Durban is for... This will dash the hopes and dreams of the most popular places to visit for human.. A pair of walking shoes and by all means explore until your is. Registered tour guides and operators based in the country is safe for human consumption 're planning to stay for weeks... Weeks and we ’ ve not lost anyone crime such as R100 notes when! All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication the being. Not drink from open containers outside the club Africa ’ s a pain I,. Operation was to ensure Durban was safe for the government assures the public the tap water in the world s...

Ucas Tariff Points Abitur, 3d Laser Box Price, Indira Nagar Bangalore To Whitefield, Studio Apartment For Rent In Santacruz Mumbai, Communiqué In Mun, Poorest Towns In Puerto Rico,