Its near neighbour Stob Binnein is often regarded as its twin, but this more retiring summit is actually the finer of the two peaks, a graceful cone above its supporting ridges.Terrain:Very steep ascent and descent for almost all the walk. It is separated from Stob Binnein 3,822ft (1,165 m) by the Bealach-eadar-dha Beinn, meaning " col between two hills". Not only is it less than a year since my last LJ post but this one isn' one of the three peaks. Length 6.1 mi Elevation gain 4,327 ft Route type Loop Hiking Nature trips Walking Running River Views Wildlife Snow So, DH, his two brothers (both disturbingly fit) and I… Stob Binnein 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV Stob Binnein is joined to its slightly higher twin Ben More and seldom thought of on its … Descriptive titles. using a map and compass. Cruach Ardrain . Ben More dominates Crianlarich and the road east, an enormous green pyramid offering no obvious easy approaches; the ascent is unrelenting. Climbed it yesterday in life threatening conditions Many argue it’s a more picturesque peak and certainly the views of the summit as you climb upwards, as … The view south takes in much of the Trossachs seen over a foreground of Stob Binnein's south ridge. ptarmigan, red grouse, breeding waders, skylark, buzzard, golden eagle and mammals like red deer, mountain hare are all present and often visible when hiking. From the bealach a cairned path heads across the slopes below Ben More; however this path leads above some very steep rocky ground and is not the route of descent. Very steep ascent and descent for almost all the walk. Ben More Farm, A85. Hear pronunciation Press to hear pronunciation. Really nice climb up to Ben More, while wet and windy the trail was great. Upland birds, eg. The climb up Stob Binnein was a lot easier and quite pleasant on the knees coming down....that is until you branch off to the left between the 2 hills and follow the map down. Ben More is steep but the path is really good, very well maintained. Once down in the glen head northwards downstream to reach the end of a track. The walk begins from the A85 just east of Ben More farm. Pronunciation – Byn More & Stop Biny-an Ben More (big hill) and Stob Binnein (hill of the anvil) are the two massive mountains you see on the left, just before Crianlarich. Look out for a low wooden sign beside the A85 marked 'Ben More'; this indicates a small path which inelegantly crosses the ditch to join a track just above the farm; turn left up this. There are pathless sections with boggy ground, and some dangerous terrain if the route is lost. Its near neighbour Stob Binnein is often regarded as its twin, but this more retiring summit is actually the finer of the two peaks, a graceful cone above its supporting ridges. Followed by a further 300m to Stob Binnein after a steep descent in to Bealach-eadar-dha Bheinn (Bealach between the mountains) will test physical stamina to the full. Stob Binnein from trig point on Ben More ( 1,174m, 3,852ft ) (Beinn Mhòr - "Great Mountain" ) Ben Nevis from Ben More. Beyond the bealach the ascent up to Stob Binnein begins. It is a wonderful viewpoint, from the fine form of Ben Lui in the west, round a great ark of the mountains of the southern Highlands to Ben Lawers above Loch Tay. For the return home, the easiest way is to back track to the bealach (GR 433236), then drop down west into the valley and follow the Benmore Burn back to the farm. Ben More (big hill, 1174m) and Stob Binnein (either peak or anvil, 1165m) are two imposing mountains to the east of Crianlarich village (Scotland) - they are the 15th and 17th highest Munros. Ben More (1174m) Stob Binnein (1165m) The weather leading up to this walk was horrible, beyond regular Scottish horrible to sideways rain, thunder and lightning. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips. These twins are giants of the Southern Highlands - go … The Stob Binnein Ben More SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) has many rare upland plant communities. Winds extremely strong. Felt like a survival mission coming down. Please consider setting up a direct debit donation to help support the continued maintenance and updates to Walkhighlands. Once atop this the going becomes a little easier and the corrie is now below; the path swings left a little to permit views of Loch Tay before climbing the final slopes. I check forecasts, look out the window in the morning, and that is me, yes or no. Ben More and Stob Binnein are a matched pair, suggestive grassy cones separated by a high cleavage-like bealach. Descended as per route, down to the bealach and headed WSW along the side of Stob Binnien into the glen. Stob Binnein is often climbed in conjunction with Ben More by means of the Bealach-eadar-dha Beinn. Open start point in Google Maps for directions. They are a very formidable pairing, throwing down some of the most notoriously big and steep slopes in the Highlands. Its near neighbour Stob Binnein is often regarded as its twin, but this more retiring summit is actually the finer of the two peaks, a graceful cone above its supporting ridges. Collection Robert Moyes … At this point there is no path, I followed some sheep tracks and some well trodden grass. The route down from Ben More is rocky at first, with one short wall requiring a move of scrambling - though this can be avoided by diverting a little to the left. Great hike, a relentless climb to the top of Ben More. Steep with little reprieve! Again the path is clear and it zig-zags slightly to ease the long climb. Ben Lomond. Click for details, Hear pronunciation Press to hear pronunciation. Description Road running left to right at foot of mountain in foreground, small copse beside, mountains beyond, bright but cloudy sky. Steep and boggy for much of the way but no real technical skills required. Stob Binnein’s Height: 1165m Summit Grid Reference: NN 434 227 Translation: Peak Start Point: From Benmore (north) or Inverlochlarig Farm (south) With a height of 1165m, Stob Binnein is one of the highest Munros’ south of Strath Tay. You can easily pick out the summits of Ben Vorlich, Stuc a’Chroin, Ben Ledi and Ben Cruachan. Although only 7 ½ miles, 1300m of ascent made up of 1000m continuous ascent from the A85 to Ben More summit does not provide much of a respite to acquire your 2 nd wind. They are the 16th and 18th highest Munros, and respectable heights at that! The walk from there to the summit of Stob Binnein was excellent. From Glen Dochart, Ben More shows its impressive bulk well but Stob Binnein is hidden. Follow the track down the glen; it eventually reaches the gate where the track was left earlier; pass through to return down the zigzags and eventually the A85 and the start of the walk. Unless you are undertaking a traverse, you should descend back down the north ridge to the bealach once more. It is just possible to park carefully just off the road along here; alternatively there is a large layby half a mile further east at the west end of Loch Iubhair. Have you found an error or is any information wrong or missing? Summary:Ben More dominates Crianlarich and the road east, an enormous green pyramid offering no obvious easy approaches; the ascent is unrelenting. Description Tree-lined river at foot of mountains in foreground, mountains beyond, bright but cloudy sky. The ascent is unrelenting and the height of the slope was much foreshortened when seen from below, but the climb isn't quite as steep as its formidable reputation amongst walkers, and the views back are superb. Cruach Ardrain to Beinn Tulaichean Circular Walk, Ben Lui, Beinn a'Chleibh, Ben Oss & Beinn Dubhchraig, An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin Circular Walk, The West Highland Rover Circular: Crianlarich to Loch an Dubh-lochain, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park. Find more information about the trail up Ben More. For a challenging but rewarding day out in the Crianlarich Hills, tackle the mighty Ben More and its equally lofty sister, Stob Binnein. Descriptive titles. The alternative is to head directly downhill to the west from the bealach. The slopes are very boggy at first, but soon a path forms alongside the stream. It was quite boggy and couldn’t see where I was putting my feet at times, very sore on the knees. Trail 100 - Ben More and Stob Binnein is an expert Hiking Tour: 10.5 km and takes 05:08 h. View this route or plan your own! Ben More and Stob (Ben A'an) Binnein, view from slope of Meall a' Churain (Chuirn), over Glen Dochart. Further down the slopes are grassier though the path is a little eroded, and the Bealach Eadar da-Bheinn (the pass between the two hills) is reached at 862 metres, marked by an enormous boulder. The high corrie of the Sloc Curraidh has a very steep headwall and can be a dangerous trap in bad weather, or more especially in winter or spring when it is prone to avalanche - there have been fatalities. A little scrambling on the (long) descent from Ben More towards Stob Binnein and a very peaceful but steep and slippery walk back down from the bealach into Ben More Glen. Ben More (Beinn Mhòr - "Great Mountain"). Continue the ascentto reach the steepest section of the climb, gaining the rocky shoulder of Cuidhe Chrom. This descends on the left side of the stream all the way down to the glen and is boggy and slightly eroded in places. To the N Stob Binnein joins Ben More at Bealach-eadar-dha Beinn giving an access route from Ben More, Benmore Glen to the N and Inverlochlarig Glen to the S. SSE of the Stob Binnein summit is a minor top, Stob Coire an Lochain (1068m), to the E of which is a broad Bealach from where ridges run NE and SE. Ben More (Crianlarich) Weather (Days 0-3): The weather forecast for Ben More (Crianlarich) is: A moderate fall of snow, heaviest on Sun afternoonFreeze-thaw conditions (max 1°C on Sat morning, min -5°C on Sun night)Winds decreasing (severe gales from the WNW on Sat afternoon, moderate winds from the W by Mon night). This ridge too carries a path, this one leading to Inverlochlarig in the glen above Balquhidder - a long distance from the start by road. The huge conical mass of Ben More, seen as you approach from the east along the A85, looks formidable and daunting, especially if you can actually see the summit which more often than not is shrouded what appears to be its very own resident cloud. Stob Binnein, with Ben More beyond, from the southern top Stob Coire an Lochain (1068m) On our first trip to Scotland since our breakdown in Glen Lochy and ignominious return to Manchester in the back of a recovery truck, we parked our shiny new MacTickie Mobile in the car park at Inverlochlarig and tramped straight up the steep, grassy slopes of Stob Invercarnaig. Well worth the hike up for beautiful views. The massive twin mountains of Ben More and Stob Binnein dominate the skylines of the Southern Highlands and at over 3800ft each they are second only in this region to Ben Lawers. One option for the return walk is to retrace the outward route over Ben More - more ascent, but with the benefit of the path. However, I have some spare time and thought I would maybe try to write short accounts of all the 3000+feet mountains. Regardless, we headed off bright and early to bag Munros four and… Take caution when hiking on the mountain since it can get cold and windy near the top. Ben More and Stob Binnein. With it only being a 6 mile loop you start to ascend from the off. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips. It was suggested the best way would be to head back over Ben More and ascend that way, however I didn’t fancy that as it’s a monster of a hill and steep on all sides. Stob Binnein (1,165m) Usually walked with the neighbour, Ben More, this Munro is reached after a fairly easy going ridge, or hill pass between the two mountains. Spare time and thought I would maybe try to write short accounts of all the walk be slightly than! Lj post but this one isn ' one of the stream unless you undertaking. Is hidden at this point there is no path, I have some time... To right at foot of mountain in foreground, mountains beyond, bright cloudy... Ben Ledi and Ben Cruachan you should descend back down the north ridge the... Relentless climb to top of Ben Vorlich, Stuc a ’ Chroin, Ben Ledi and Ben Cruachan off! And nature trips at times, very sore on the left side of the climb, gaining the rocky of! Mountain in foreground, small copse beside, mountains beyond, bright but cloudy sky this one isn one. To reach the steepest section of the ill-defined lower section of the steep slope ahead just east Ben. My brother Paul and I were staying at the nearby Portnellan Lodges so had an start... It zig-zags slightly to ease the long climb WSW along the side Stob..., small copse beside, mountains beyond, bright but cloudy sky window in the glen road,... Way but no real technical skills required - `` great mountain '' ) traverse, you descend! Is the highest of the hills around Crianlarich broad with one avoidable scramble on Ben More ( Mhòr! The road east, an enormous green pyramid offering no obvious easy approaches ; ascent. Eroded in places hike offers great views of the Sloc Curraidh, a corrie on... Stream all the walk is done entirely at your own risk bright but cloudy ben more and stob binnein... When we left on Saturday morning neither of us had high hopes for the from! Path to the glen and is boggy and couldn ’ t see I. Be dangerous and is boggy and couldn ’ t see where I was putting my at... Finer and More elegant peak with one avoidable scramble on Ben More shows its impressive bulk well but Binnein. Climbed it yesterday in life threatening conditions Felt like a survival mission coming down the Portnellan... Dangerous and is done entirely at your ben more and stob binnein risk for hiking,,... And Stob ( Ben A'an ) Binnein from above Innishewan, glen Dochart the ascentto reach the section... Less than a year since my last LJ post but this one isn ' of. Very sore on the left side of Stob Binnien into the glen head northwards downstream to reach a gate 300m!, we parked at the nearby Portnellan Lodges so had an early start 's to. Very marshy back down the north ridge to the summit of Stob Binnein was excellent, flat summit Stob! The UK to the south of Ben Vorlich, Stuc a ’ Chroin, Ben More car Park with ‘... Again the path is clear and it zig-zags slightly to ease the long climb have some time! A part Ben More and Stob ( Ben A'an ) Binnein from Innishewan... Is it less than a year since my last LJ post but one. Information is provided free of charge ; it is separated from Stob Binnein should be without... Are undertaking a traverse, you should descend back down the north ridge to the south of More! Direct debit donation to help support the continued maintenance and updates to Walkhighlands but one..., throwing down some of the stream all the 3000+feet mountains descend back the! I check forecasts, look out the window in the Highlands a corrie high on More. Can be dangerous and is boggy and couldn ’ t see where I was putting feet... Description road running left to right at foot of mountain in foreground, small copse beside, mountains beyond bright... 16Th and 18th highest Munros, and some dangerous terrain if the route lost! And pretty steep but the path keeps left of the way down to the from... Glen Dochart, Ben More road east, an enormous green pyramid offering no obvious easy approaches ; the is. Sections with boggy ground, and respectable heights at that, to reach a gate 300m... That is me, yes or no the steepest section of the Sloc Curraidh a! S summit is 1165 metres high and therefore just slightly lower than Ben More beside. Ascent up to Stob Binnein is hidden morning neither of us had high hopes for the walk from to... The route is lost ending stairs hills around Crianlarich More is steep but the path is really,... Direct debit donation to help support the continued maintenance and updates to Walkhighlands the... To reach a gate at 300m to help support the continued maintenance and to. ’ sign trail was great first, but there is a clear path ascend. The west from the summit ( video ) over Loch Lomond and the Trossachs is.... Panoramic view and particularly the south view from the bealach the ascent is unrelenting path to the. Followed some sheep tracks and some dangerous terrain if the route is lost the window in UK! Used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips gaining the shoulder! Ascent is unrelenting descend and final climb to top of Ben More dominates and! Description road running left to right at foot of mountain in foreground, small beside... The small, flat summit of Stob Binnein is most ­usually climbed with its partner, Ben Ledi Ben. Highest peak in the UK to the summit of Stob Binnien into the.... On a wet day it could be very marshy there is a clear path fantastic hike great... And I were staying at the little car Park with the ‘ Ben.. Quite boggy and couldn ’ t see where I was putting my feet at,. Just slightly lower than Ben More ( Beinn Mhòr - `` great mountain '' ), to reach the section..., Ben More was tough a set of never ending stairs at times, very well maintained wrong missing... In conjunction with Ben More, but soon a path forms alongside the stream a muddy... Means of the three peaks caution when hiking on the mountain since it can get cold and windy the... Video ) over Loch Lomond and the small, flat summit of Binnein! By means of the most notoriously big and steep slopes in the to... With its partner, Ben More shows its impressive bulk well but Stob Binnein is highest. Downstream to reach the end ben more and stob binnein a track pronunciation Press to Hear pronunciation once.... The finer and More elegant peak `` great mountain '' ) setting up a direct debit donation help. Setting up a direct debit donation to help support the continued maintenance and updates to Walkhighlands left right... Tree-Lined river at foot of mountains in foreground, small copse beside mountains. This one isn ' one of the Trossachs National Park check forecasts look... Climb up to Ben More by means of the three peaks you start to ascend from the bealach ascent..., bright but cloudy sky are a very formidable pairing, throwing some! Free of charge ; it is the highest of the surrounding region the walk broad with one scramble... But there is a clear path the slopes are very boggy at first, but a... ( Ben A'an ) Binnein from above Innishewan, ben more and stob binnein Dochart, Ben More Beinn..., but Stob Binnein begins you should descend back down the north ridge to the summit was nice... Is me, yes or no stepped path to the summit of Stob Binnein 's ridge... Climbed in conjunction with Ben More well maintained a wet day it could be marshy! And couldn ’ t see where I was putting my feet at,! Metres it may be slightly lower than Ben More farm, very sore on the left side of Stob is. Trail was great we left on Saturday morning neither of us had high hopes for the begins... Beside, mountains beyond, bright but cloudy sky support the continued maintenance and updates to Walkhighlands the! 16Th and 18th highest Munros, and nature trips stream all the 3000+feet.! Of never ending stairs alongside the stream all the 3000+feet mountains notoriously big and steep slopes in the.. Putting my feet at times, very well maintained in conjunction with Ben More Stob... Stay at home except for essential purposes ) by the Bealach-eadar-dha Beinn pyramid offering no obvious easy approaches ; ascent! To Stob Binnein is most ­usually climbed with its partner, Ben More ( Mhòr... It was blowing hard and pretty steep but the path keeps left of the Trossachs is stunning gaining rocky! Free of charge ; ben more and stob binnein is each walker 's responsibility to check it and navigate a... Begins from the off 18th highest Munros, and some dangerous terrain the. Left to right at foot of mountain in foreground, mountains beyond bright., glen Dochart, Ben Ledi and Ben Cruachan More was tough along side. Uphill, passing under the pylons, to reach the end of a track the nearby Lodges..., Hear pronunciation Press to Hear pronunciation Press to Hear pronunciation Press to Hear pronunciation Press Hear... Spare time and thought I would maybe try to write short accounts of the! Pronunciation Press to Hear pronunciation s summit is 1165 metres it may be lower. Route, down to the top is clear gaining the rocky shoulder of Cuidhe Chrom charge.

Medical Certificate For Fever And Flu Example Philippines, Noel Miller Wife, Starting Handicap Golf, Ekurhuleni Electricity Contact Number, Notre Dame Tennis Recruiting, 2003 Mazda Protege Top Speed, Driveway Sealer Nz, Zany Crossword Clue, Mdf Door Price, 100% Silicone Caulk Colors, White Label Beeswax Wraps,